Spicy Thai Noodle Salad
Thai noodle salad is usually known as "Yum Mama", the instant noodle tossed with spicy dressing, one of the most famous spicy salads.
"Mama" is the instant noodle that comes with flavouring soup base in a package. The instant noodle is typically fried as part of the manufacturing process which resulting in high amount of saturated fat and, maybe, trans fat.
Considering a healthy option, I choose to use dried egg noodle – bami, instead. The ideal dried egg noodle should be a small thread. The dried egg noodle needs to be cooked in boiling water, rinsed in cold water and drained.
Combine this cooked noodle with fresh ingredients such as coriander leaves, spring onion, shallot, tomato and cucumber with the cooked minced meat in boiling water (blanching). The minced meat for this recipe can be chicken, pork or whole prawns and squid rings. Then toss with the full flavored and spicy dressing!
The salad dressing is the key to this Thai noodle salad. Without it, there is no flavor. It consists of roasted chili paste, fresh lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic and fresh chili! This salad dressing is one of my top favorite salad recipes that can be used with many Thai salad recipes. Try it!
This fresh and spicy salad is best served for summer lunch.
This spicy noodle salad dish also makes a perfect match with Thai BBQ Chicken or enjoy with other Thai salad dish – Glass noodle salad
Spicy Thai Noodle Salad
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Spicy level: mild
Dried egg noodle (preferred small and thin threads) 2 serving ( use about 1 cup of cooked egg noodle per serve)
Minced chicken or pork (cook meat in a small cup of water) 100 g
Coriander leaves chopped 1 cup
Spring onion chopped 1 cup
Shallot thinly sliced 2 tbsp
Tomato medium sized, quartered and thinly sliced 1 cup
Cucumber quartered and thinly sliced 1 cup
Ingredients for Dressing:
Thai roasted chilli paste 1 ½ tbsp
Lime juice 3 tbsp
Sugar ½ tsp
Fish sauce 1 tsp
Garlic pounded 1 clove
Red Thai chilli pounded 2 chillies (optional)
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 – Cook noodle
- Heat 3 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Add the dried noodle. Over medium heat, cook the noodle about 3-4 minutes or until medium cooked through.
- Rinse the noodle in cold water and drain. Set aside.
Step 2 - Making dressing
- In a salad dressing bowl, combine all salad dressing ingredients together and stir well.
Step 3 - Tossing
- In a mixing bowl, add noodle, cooked chicken or pork with all fresh salad ingredients and the dressing. I recommend adding 2-3 tbsp of dressing per serving. Toss well.
- Serve immediately.
- Once you have done chopping the fresh salad ingredients (cucumber, tomato, coriander leaves, spring onion), put them all back in the fridge while you are preparing other things. These ingredients are best served chilled for your summer lunch.
Return from Thai Noodle Salad to Thai Salad Recipes
Return to Home Page