Authentic Thai Massaman Curry with Chicken
This Thai massaman curry is the signature dish from the south of Thailand. It is usually cooked with beef or chicken and served with steamed rice.
This massaman curry consists of chicken thighs, drums or breast, preferably with bones and skin on, potato, coconut cream and milk, roasted peanuts and seasoning with palm sugar, fish sauce, tamarind juice and massaman curry paste.
Additional unique curry paste ingredients used in this curry recipe are coriander and cumin seeds, ground nutmeg, clove and cardamom seeds. These additional spices bring a beautiful aroma and strong fragrance that distributes a distinctive flavor to the dish.
I recommend Stir Fried Mixed Vegetables, or Stir Fried Asparagus with Prawns for a perfect Thai set menu!
Thai Massaman Curry with Chicken
kaeng massaman gai
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Spicy Level: mild
Chicken thighs or drums 400 g
Potato bite size cubed 2 wholes
Onion quartered 2 wholes
Coconut cream 1 cup
Coconut milk 2 cup
Massaman curry paste 1 ½ tbsp
Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
Roasted peanut 1-2 tbsp
Fish sauce 1 tbsp
Palm sugar 3 tbsp
Tamarind juice 2 tbsp
Salt ½ tsp
Let's get started!
How to make:
- Fry massaman curry paste with oil in a pot over low heat until fragrant or a few minutes. Make sure you don’t fry the curry paste too long which will dry and stick to the pot.
- Simmer coconut milk and chicken for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, potato, onion and roasted peanut and simmer for 10 more minutes until the curry sauce is thickened and ingredients are cooked through
- Seasoning with tamarind juice, palm sugar, fish sauce and salt.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve with steamed Jasmine Rice.
Return from Thai Massaman Curry to Thai Curry Recipes
Return to Thai Recipes Today Home Page