Rice with Thai Chicken Basil and Fried Egg
This Thai chicken basil recipe has been one of my favorite comfort foods for years. It is also very popular to foreign visitors and locals.
Thai chicken basil is a simply stir fry with fresh Holy Basil "Bai ka-prow" with oyster sauce, chopped Thai chilies, fish sauce and serve with fried egg on top!
Minced pork, beef, or assorted seafood can be used in this recipe. Sometimes chopped long bean or any green beans may also be additionally used.
This Holy Basil - Bai ka-prow should not be confused with Thai Basil – Hora-pha which has an anise-like taste. Thai holy basil is unique to the stir fried chicken recipe and is only used sparingly in other Thai dishes normally as a deep fried garnish on top of varied stir fries.
Thai holy basil is hard to find during the winter season. My technique for storing herbs for a long term use is to simply freeze them. Click here to see how to freeze herbs
I recommend Tom Yum Goong, or Green Curry with Chicken for a perfect Thai set menu!
Stir Fried Minced Chicken and Thai Holy basil with Fried Egg and Rice
kaow grapow gai kab kai dao
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minute
Spicy Level: mild
Minced chicken 350 g
Garlic, crushed 2 tbsp
Red Thai chilies, crushed ½ or 1 tsp (optional)
Long bean, chopped 5 mm thick ½ cup (optional)
Thai holy basil leaves picked 1 handful
Chicken stock ¼ cup
Fried egg 2
Fish sauce 1 tbsp
Oyster sauce 2 tbsp
Sweet soy sauce 1 tbsp
Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1: stir frying
- Pound garlic and chilies together with mortar and pestle until roughly smooth.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium to high heat.
- Add garlic and chilies. Stir evenly until fragrant about 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken until cooked through. Then long beans for a few minutes.
- Pour chicken stock to help soften or can use water instead.
- Seasoning with fish sauce, oyster sauce and sweet soy sauce. Stir fry constantly.
- Add basil and stir well.
- Remove from the heat and serve with fried egg and steamed Jasmine rice.
Return from Thai Chicken Basil to Thai Rice Recipes
Return from Thai Chicken Basil to Thai Recipes Today Home Page