Thai Cashew Chicken
This Thai cashew chicken stir fried is definitely my most favorite Thai dish. To make a good Thai cashew chicken is to create balance flavors of seasonings, and enough stir fry sauce that will coat the chicken.
We originally use small cubed chicken fillet to make this dish. However, there are a few different ways to cook this chicken with cashew nuts. My family and I seem to like this recipe the most!
This scrumptious dish serves best with Tom Kha Gai - Chicken in Coconut Milk
Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts
gai pad med-ma-muang
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Chicken fillet cubed 300 g
Garlic finely chopped 1 tsp
Dried red chili peppers cut into 1 inch 2 wholes
Onion quartered whole
Spring onion cut into 1 inch 4 stalks
Cashew nuts dry roasted ½ cup
Capsicums red green and yellow, bite size squared ¼ each color (optional)
Chicken stock ¼ cup (or water)
Corn flour for coating ½ cup
Vegetable oil for deep frying 1 cup
Vegetable oil for frying 2 tbsp
Oyster sauce 2 ½ tbsp
Sweet soy sauce 1 tbsp
Light soy sauce 1 tbsp
Let's get started!
How to prepare:
- Prepare all ingredients as mentioned above.
- Roast cashew nuts, without oil, in a saucepan or wok over low heat until brown evenly, approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok over high heat.
- Toss capsicums and onion just to slightly cooked for a few minutes. Remove from the heat.
How to make:
Step 1 – Deep frying
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a wok over high heat.
- Deep fry chicken until slightly cooked and evenly brown or a few minutes each side. Remove and place on absorbent oil paper.
- Deep fry dried red spur chilies for about 1-2 minutes or until chili’s color gets slightly darker.
Step 2 – Stir fry
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Add garlic. Stir constantly until fragrant.
- Add deep fried chicken, cashew nuts, and capsicums.
- Pour chicken stock and seasoning with oyster sauce, sweet soy sauce, and light soy sauce.
- Stir evenly until ingredients are coated with sauce.
- Sprinkle spring onion and remove from the heat.
- Serve with steamed Jasmine rice,
- Dry roasting cashew nuts without oil in a saucepan over a low to medium heat. Keep tossing the pan to make sure cashew nuts are evenly roasted and have turned brown. Cover with a lit after removing from the heat for a few minutes. The cashew nuts should become crunchy.
Return from Thai Cashew Chicken to Thai Chicken Recipes
Return to Thai Recipes Today Home Page