Stir Fried Thai Basil Chicken
Spicy Thai basil chicken is a stir fried dish with Thai holy basil leaves, fresh chilies and garlic. It is the most popular Thai comfort food for both Thais and foreigners.
The dish requires minimal time and preparation, so it is an ideal for a quick lunch meal.
You can use mince or thinly slices of chicken breast, pork, beef, or assorted seafood. Stir fry your choice of meat with fresh Thai holy basil, garlic and red Thai fresh chilies and season with oyster sauce, fish or soy sauce and sugar.
The Thai style's basil chicken knows as "Grapow Gai" is usually stir fried with a lot of chilies with strong flavors. Serve with steamed rice.
You can alternatively serve this spicy basil chicken with fried egg on top or Fried omelet with tomato and onion (kai jiew)
Stir Fried Chicken with Thai Holy Basil
pad grapow gai
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Spicy Level: mild
Minced chicken 350 g
Onion halved and lengthwise thinly sliced whole
Garlic 2 cloves
Small red Thai chilies 1-3 pieces (optional)
Long bean chopped ½ cup (optional)
Thai holy basil leaves picked 1 handful
Water ¼ cup
Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
Soy sauce 1 tbsp
Sweet soy sauce 1 tbsp
Oyster sauce 2 tbsp
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1: Wok frying
- Pound garlic and chilies together with mortar and pestle until roughly smooth.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium to high heat.
- Add garlic and chilies. Stir evenly until fragrant about 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken until cooked through. Then onion and long bean for a few minutes.
- Pour a bit of water help soften.
- Seasoning with soy sauce, oyster sauce and sweet soy sauce. Stir fry constantly.
- Add Thai basil, stir well and remove from the heat.
- Serve with steamed Jasmine rice.
Return from Thai Basil Chicken to Thai Chicken Recipes
Return to Thai Recipes Today Home Page