Thai Sweet and Sour Chicken
This sweet and sour chicken is a mouth-watering stir fry dish using fresh pineapple, cucumber, onion and tomato. The key to this dish is the balance flavors of the sauce consisted of fish sauce or soy sauce (for vegans), sugar, ketchup, oyster sauce, and fresh pineapple juice.
I personally like using crispy-fried cubed chicken as they are crunchy and tend to absorb the sauce well. Delicious!.... Pork and prawns are a good alternative too!
This recipe is also a kid’s friendly dish! It is best served with steamed rice and maybe a dish of curry. This sweet and sour recipe is a perfect match with Thai Panang Curry, and Glass Noodle Salad (Yum wun sen)
Stir Fried Chicken with Sweet and Sour Sauce
gai pad priew wan
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Spicy Level: none
Chicken fillet cut into bite-sized pieces 350 g
Corn flour for coating ½ cup
Garlic crushed 1 tsp
Cucumber peel skin off quarter lengthwise and 1 inch cut ¼ cup
Onion bite size quartered ¼ cup
Pineapple bite size cubed ¼ cup
Tomato medium size, quartered ¼ cup
Spring onion 1 inch long cut 3 stems
Cooking oil for deep frying 1 cup
Cooking oil for stir frying 4 tbsp
Soy sauce 1 ½ tbsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Oyster sauce 1 ½ tbsp
Pineapple juice ¼ cup
Ketchup ¼ cup
Thai Chili sauce 1 tbsp (optional or leave out for kids)
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 – Deep frying
- Dry chicken with paper towel and rub chicken in corn flour thinly and evenly. Place on a dry plate.
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a large wok over high heat.
- Deep fry chicken a few minutes each side. Remove to absorb oil with paper towel.
Step 2 – Wok frying
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok over high heat.
- When the wok is hot, add cucumber, onion, tomato and pineapple. Stir quickly for a few minutes. Remove on a separate plate.
Step 3 – Stir frying
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok over low heat.
- Add garlic. Stir until fragrant.
- Add all seasoning; ketchup and Thai chili sauce, soy sauce, sugar, pineapple juice and oyster sauce. Stir well.
- Add vegetables and fried chicken over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat.
- Make sure all ingredients are coated with sauce.
- Sprinkle spring onion and remove from the heat.
- Serve with steamed Jasmine rice or your choice of fried rice.