Thai Satay Recipe
Satay recipe is a Thai specialty. I have made this satay recipe with pork the just the other day! To be honest, everyone truly loved it!
Satay is the grilled style of different meats served with various spicy seasonings. The tantalizing smell of the exotic spices and herbs used to marinate the meat really kicks my appetite and will delight your taste buds too!
Turmeric is the key ingredient that provides the marinated meat with its yellow appearance. Red curry paste is used to spice up the peanut combination in the satay sauce. This satay recipe has been popular and used over many generations in Thailand.
Satay is normally served with two different sauces to balance one another; Ar-Jard dip - fresh cucumber, fresh red spur chili, shallots, white vinegar, sugar and salt. And Spicy Peanut Sauce – a bit of red curry paste, coconut milk, palm sugar and a lot of crushed peanut. Yum yum...
The authentic satay recipe uses skewers made of midrib of coconut leaf or bamboo and being grilled over charcoal fire. However, you can alternatively use a home oven grill at a high heat turning regularly for approximately 10 minutes.
An important tip is to cut your preferred meat in thinner slices rather than thick chunky pieces. This will allow marinate to penetrate the meat further as well as allowing the satay skewers to cook quickly and evenly under heat.
With this recipe, you can make satay with pork, chicken, prawns, beef, fish, lamb and seafood.
Preparation: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Pork steak thinly sliced 340 g
Coriander seed dry fry 2 tsp
Cumin dry fry ½ tsp
Galangal finely chopped 1 ½ tsp
Lemongrass finely chopped 1 tbsp
Turmeric fresh sliced 1 tbsp
White pepper powder ¼ tsp
Coconut cream for marinate ½ cup
Coconut milk ½ cup for coating when grill
Bamboo skewers 14 sticks
Salt 1 tsp
Ingredients for Peanut Sauce:
Red curry paste 1 tbsp
Palm sugar 2 blocks
Tamarind juice 2 tbsp
Coconut milk 1 cup
Peanut crushed ½ cup
Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
Coriander seed dry fry 1 tsp
Cumin dry fry ½ tsp
Salt 2 tsp
Ingredients for Ar-Jard::
Fresh cucumber quartered and sliced ¼ cup
Shallots thinly sliced ¼ cup
Big red chilli chopped 1 tbsp
White vinegar 1/4 cup
Sugar 2 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 – Marinate
- Pound all herbs and spices except coconut cream with mortar and pestle until smooth.
- In the mixing bowl, marinate the paste with chicken and coconut cream. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Best over night.
Step 2 - Ar-Jard
- Heat white vinegar and sugar over low heat. Stir until dissolves. Set aside to cool down. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Step 3 – Peanut Sauce
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over low to medium.
- Fry red curry paste in oil a few minutes.
- Add dry fry coriander seed and cumin.
- Continue frying. Then gradually add coconut milk, salt, palm sugar and tamarind juice. Continue simmering until the sauce is slightly thicker.
- Add crushed peanut and remove from the heat.
Step 4 – Grill
- Skew the chicken and cover foil over the bamboo skewers to protect burning.
- Coat the satay with oil and coconut milk then grill for approximately 10 minutes turning regularly.
- Enjoy with Ar-Jard and peanut sauce!
Return from Satay Recipe to Thai Appetizers
Return to Home Page