Easy Red Curry Noodle (North Eastern Style)
This red curry noodle is called “Kanom Jeen Nam Ya Pa Isaan”. It is a non coconut based spicy fish curry served with Thai noodle and fresh veggies. It uses fish stock as a base and fresh herbal ingredient which include lesser ginger known as “kra-chai”, lemongrass, galangal, dried chili, shallot and garlic.
In the North Eastern, a kanom jeen or curry noodle dish is called “khao poon or nom pan jor”. This word is similar to Cambodian dialogue. North Eastern red curry noodle can also be made with coconut milk known as “kanom jeen nam ya kati”. Simply follow this recipe’s instruction and additionally add coconut milk.
The key seasoning for the North Eastern cooking style is fermented fish known as “pla la”. Some people may find it a strong smell and taste. Despite the fact that many of westerners do not usually cook food with fermented fish, in this recipe, I use fish sauce instead.
The fish curry recipe below features sea bream or simply use any fresh water or marine fish and try to ensure the fish meat is white and soft. This Thai noodle dish is widely regarded as comfort food for North Eastern region.
Click here for other 4 Region’s Thai Curry Noodle Recipes
Red Curry Noodle (North Eastern Style)
kanom jeen nam ya pa isaan
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Spicy Level: medium hot
Ingredients for curry paste:
Large dried red chilli soaked in warm water and deseeded 5 pieces
Lemongrass thinly sliced 3 stalks
Shallots thinly sliced ½ cup
Galangal thinly sliced 1 tbsp
Garlic peel skin off 1 clove
Fish balls ½ cup (optional)
Water 3 cups (to make fish stock)
Whole sea bream 250 g
Lesser ginger 1 inch cut and pounded 5-6 stalks
Kiffir lime leaves torn 2-3 leaves
Thai noodle (kanom jeen) 2 serves
Fish sauce 1 tbsp
Bean sprout as desired
Dills as desired
Lemon basil leaves as desired
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 – making fish stock
- Heat 3 cups of water in a pot over high heat.
- - Add the whole fish in boiling water until cooked.
- Remove from the heat.
- Place the cooked fish on a cutting board and remove only fish meat and discard the rest (bones, heads, tail etc)
- Refine the fish stock with sieve. Then transfer the fish stock back in a pot for making curry in step 3.
Step 2 – prepare curry paste
- Add all curry paste ingredients in a food processor.
- Process to blend until the ingredients are well combined, then add the cooked fish meat.
- Continue blending for another 2-3 minutes.
Step 3 – making curry
- Heat the fish stock over medium heat.
- When boils, add the curry paste, lesser ginger and kiffir lime leaves.
- Continue boiling for a few minutes, herbs and spices will release aromatic fragrance.
- Add fish sauce and remove from the heat.
- Serve with Thai noodle and accompany with bean sprout and dills or lemon.
Return from Red Curry Noodle to Thai Noodles
Return from Red Curry Noodle to Home Page