Authentic Pad Thai Recipe
Pad Thai recipe is probably the most well known dish from Thailand. The authentic pad Thai recipe consists of a particular pad Thai noodle stir fried with egg, firm tofu, bean sprouts, sweet radish, dried shrimps, garlic and crushed peanuts.
The recommended condiments to use are sugar, dried chili flakes or powder and a lime wedge and enjoyed with fresh banana blossom as a side dish. This Thai signature dish is often seen on Thailand’s street food markets and restaurants.
Making a balanced pad Thai sauce is the key to creating a tasty noodle dish. The unique flavors of pad Thai sauce are made of tamarind juice extract, sugar (can be palm sugar or brown sugar), salt and fish sauce. All of these ingredients have to be simmered until thickened like syrup. Once you have made the sauce, it can be refrigerated for weeks.
An authentic pad Thai noodle should be presented covered in a light brown tamarind-like color and combines 3 balanced flavors; sweet, sour and slightly salty.
This Pad Thai recipe can be enjoyed with prawns, chicken or tofu for vegetarians. The noodle required in this recipe is called Rice Stick Chantaboon Noodle called in Thai Sen Chan, the medium-sized flat rice noodles which literally was named after the town where it is made, Chantaburi. The The noodle is usually flat often used in soup noodle recipes and Pad Thai recipes. This noodle is widely available in dehydrated form in most of Asian food stores.
Pad Thai Noodle with Prawns
pad thai goong sod
Preparation: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Medium-sized flat rice noodles required to be soaked in warm water until soft approx 15 minutes and drained ½ pack
Prawns medium sized ½ cup
Garlic and shallot finely chopped 1 tsp each
Dried shrimp small sized 1 tbsp (optional)
Sweet radish ¼ cup
Pad Thai sauce 1 cup
Egg beaten 2 wholes
Bean sprouts 1 cup
Water 1 cup
Yellow, hard tofu golden fried and cut into small pieces ½ cup
Vegetable oil ½ cup
Lime wedges 2 pieces
Crushed peanuts 1 -2 tbsp
Dried chilli flakes 1-2 tbsp
Bean sprouts ½ cup
Pad Thai Sauce:
Tamarind juice 2 cups
Palm sugar 3 small blocks
Fish sauce 3 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Let's get started!
How to make:
Step 1 – Pad Thai sauce
- Mix all pad Thai sauce in a pot and slowly simmer until thickened or about 15-20 minutes. Stir constantly and set aside.
Step 2 - Stir fry
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Fry soaked noodle in oil. Add 1/4 cup of water to help soften and cook the noodle. Add a bit of water more if the noodle is still uncooked.
- Then add 1/2 cup of pad Thai sauce. Toss well. Remove when the noodle is slightly brown and soft.
- Clean the wok.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat, add garlic and shallot. Stir until fragrant and slightly brown.
- Cook prawns for a few minutes and remove.
- Continue cooking by adding the noodle that has been fried in pad Thai sauce, (optionally) dried shrimps, fried tofu, and sweet radish.
- Toss well and remove all ingredient to the side of the wok.
- Pour the beaten egg in the middle until cooked.
- Add bean sprout and crushed peanuts. Toss well with a spatula and stir evenly.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve prawns on top with lime wedge, sugar, dried chilli flakes and crushed peanuts on the side dish.
- Use 1 handful of tamarind paste and soak in a cup of warm water for 5 minutes then use your finger to squeeze the pulps which will have to be discarded when done. The juice is ready to use.
Return from Pad Thai Recipe to Thai Noodle Recipes
Return from Pad Thai Noodle to Thai Recipes Today Home Page